EUREC together with five other associations from the renewable energy, climate, environment and transport fields have co-sigend three letters addressed to the Executive Vice-Presidents of the EUropean Commission in order to a invest in green research & innovation to enable a speedy and sustainable recovery.
Climate & Strategy Partners, E3G, EERA, Institut Jacques Delors, Transport & Environment and EUREC welcome the European Commission’s recent proposal to fund a green and just recovery, as described on 28th May. If the EU is ready to borrow €750bn and engage the €1.1tn MFF for a green recovery then it needs to ensure investments – public and private – will indeed go in that direction. If not, discrepancies between member states and incoherence with EU policy priorities, like Green Deal, will deliver a shallow and fragile recovery, potentially locking in stranded assets for future generations.
Research & Innovation (R&I) is a key driver for economic development and resilience. Ensuring that sufficient investments are made in green R&I is one of the strongest ways for the European Commission to ensure that the recovery is effective and sustainable. The letters propose concrete R&I-related EU policy actions to:
- Ensure the European Green Deal and National Energy and Climate Plans, guide Member States’ Recovery and Resilience Plans
- Lever the EIB’s Energy Lending Policy and the ‘Do no harm’ principle.
- Reinforce the EU budget’s ability to boost the bloc’s research and innovation ecosystem
- Green Recovery Bond issuance
- Reinforce Smart Specialisation Platforms with Climate R&I in CEE region
Download the letters below and learn more about specific R&I-related EU policy actions to strengthen and accelerate the economic recovery.