EUREC is the Association of European Renewable Energy Research Centres. Our members (research laboratories from across Europe) perform research in solar energy, wind, bioenergy, concentrated solar power, eco-buildings, energy networks and many other related technologies. EUREC’s communications are directed at EU policymakers, our members, the press, students and the general public.
You will be joining a team of five full-time staff based in and around Brussels. Post-COVID, we will probably telework 3 or 4 days per week. Our office is at 2 Pl du Champ de Mars, 1050 Brussels. Our working language is English.
- Produce brochures, flyers, newsletters, Tweets, Linked In postings, videos and similar
- Write short articles for newsletters
- Set up virtual events (webinars); input to the organisation of face-to-face events
- Attract readers, followers and website visitors
- Derive insight from analytics connected to communications campaigns
- Recommend ways to raise the visibility of EUREC, its members and its projects
Your technical skills
- Language: Excellent (native speaker standard) verbal and written English. Knowledge of French to a level that lets you transact with local suppliers is an advantage.
- Copywriting: writing high quality, accessible content for a range of different audiences, publications and channels.
- Planning communications campaigns
- Digital and social media: WordPress websites, Twitter, Linked In, Mailchimp, YouTube
- Graphic design with desktop publishing software [InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop]
- Video production: script writing, video production and editing [Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Press relations: Ability to draft concise press releases, responding to journalists’ enquiries promptly, maintaining and updating press lists.
- Total confidence in Microsoft Word, Outlook and comfortable with Excel.
Your personal attributes
- Holder of university degree or diploma in a relevant subject
- 2 years’ experience
- Juggler of tasks: work on several tasks with different priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Cool headed under pressure
- Able to work independently (nb our teleworking)
- Meticulous: able to quickly detect and correct imperfections in layout, design or text
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Experience with European Commission-funded projects, specifically around reporting and project management
- Experience costing a multi-year communications campaign in the range of tens of thousands of EUR
- Familiarity with the energy or research sectors
- Experience in organizing face-to-face events for over 50 people
Salary and benefits
3200 EUR gross monthly salary as employee of EUREC under Belgian law. 13.9 salaries per year. “Tickets restaurant”. “Assurance groupe”. Contribution to local commuting costs. 32 days holiday per year + Belgian bank holidays assuming full time 8-hour working day. The initial contract will be for one year with a probation period.
Send CV and max 1-page covering letter to the Secretary General, Greg Arrowsmith (email@example.com) by 10 March 10 pm CET, subject line “Application Comms Manager EUREC”. Applications will be assessed as they arrive, so apply early if you are keen. Please include hyperlinks in your covering letter or CV to specific examples of your work relevant to the tasks above. Receipt of complete applications will be acknowledged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a one-hour exercise related to the tasks listed above that may be done remotely. An interview will follow. Candidates that reach the interview stage may ask for feedback on their application.
Ideally late March. Current Communications Manager leaving 31 March. In any case, it will be helpful if the successful candidate can make themselves available for a day of handover by video conference before 31 March with the outgoing Communications Manager.
EUREC may recruit for a similar position in the near future, possibly for a Comms Officer role. Add “keep on file” to the subject line of your application email if you allow us to keep your letter and CV on file in case of future job opportunities at EUREC.